Monday, June 18, 2012

Captain Ann

At some point between arriving home last summer and now I must have had a brain surgery to erase the memories of my sore "everything" that plagued last years ride ... i just don't remember!  Must be like childbirth...you swear you will never do it again and yet somehow you have more than one child running around your house.

With a few changes...albeit major ones...I came to the decision that I would 'do it again'.

Exit BIG BLUE stage left....the star of the show for 2012 is the aforementioned SILVER BULLET.

My state of physical fitness, although much better than most women my age, was no where near where it had to be to ride 70 miles per day on a bike that didn't make our lives easy.  SO I committed myself to a more regular and rigorous training schedule...and whatever I accomplish in preparation, it is a heck of a lot more than I did last time.

bike: check
fitness: check
captain.....check?  Wait...Glenn, where are you?  I need to write 'check' and then I will be ready.

And with that question I got some sad news.  Glenn would not be riding as my captain this year...too much stuff on his plate.

Enter Ann Marie Raffis....rides 5000 miles/year and is a woman who laughs in the face of a big-ass hill.  I have known Ann since my residency days as she has worked as an Rn at Machouse for as long as I can remember.

check her out:

                 
                                              Hey...it looks as if she already IS in Iowa!

Ann is a serious cyclist so I have no doubt that she will get my butt across that not-at-all-flat state of Iowa.   I welcome her to this wonderful group that Jay has assembled....she is in for a great time.

I will miss Glenn.  It was always fun to be his stoker.  His choice of music wasn't always mine but he never complained one second of any day.  He worried about me more than himself and always had a smile on. So Glenn, when I dip my tires in the missouri and the mississippi rivers and hold that tandem over my head, I will think of you.

tomorrow: Pie as a motivating factor  

No comments:

Post a Comment