Saturday, June 30, 2012

In quest of the perfect seat

For the fourth time in a month I will head out to Hub Bub which is a wonderful custom bike shop not too far from me.  I learned of them when I was complaining to a fellow cyclist about the many aches and pains I was dealing with, the worst of which was the dreaded SADDLE SORENESS.  Then he made the comment that he never (never? really?) has that problem.  He told me to get fitted for my bike and the problem would be solved.


Diane, my trusted new cycle fix-it friend, has done wonders but yet I am headed back today.  To date... she has raised my seat up about 2 feet (!) and also forward giving me a new found power I didn't know I had. Ann is extremely grateful, I might add. She adjusted my cleats which eliminated the burning in the bottoms of my feet and put a wedge in as well which solved the problem of inner knee pain.


She's good, as you can see.


BUT...she hasn't solved my saddle issues...yet. This week I tried out a loaner seat that seemed promising for a variety of technical reasons. SO, while Marc was off in NYC, Ann and took it for a spin....OUCH!  I think I mean OUCH! I have come to the conclusion that it is not about the seat but about my anatomy.  For some reason I am not sitting on my 'sit bones' but on my crotch (no better word so deal with it).


Then Marc returns from his trip and hands me a book: JUST RIDE  A Radically Practical Guide to Riding Your Bike


Hmmmm....Chapter 43: Women's saddles, women's crotches


This is my kind of book.


Excerpt: Most women are comfortable sitting bolt upright on a wide-enough saddle, because upright sitting avoids pressure on the plumbing. (BINGO!) The problem comes with the forward lean that works with faster riding. It puts pressure on the "sensitive areas", and the motion of pedaling makes it worse. (Exactly! I think the author of this book has read my mind.) 


Interestingly, when I called Diane after my last less-than-comfortable ride, she said that she thinks she needs to change my seat post and handlebars so that I am sitting more upright. Like I said, she's good.


So off I go with my bike in tow, to try another round of 'What can we try next to keep Karen in the saddle, pain-free and happy.'  I will let you know how it goes.


And for the purpose of gender equality on this issue, I will make note of Chapter 40 which is "Saddles don't cause impotence".


Enough said.


http://www.hubbubcustom.com/

Postscript: I think she worked her magic again!  Changed my handlebars completely...instead of curling down and having to bend forward (thus taking me off my sitbones) my handlebar now curls up and out much like a standard touring bike.  This has me much more upright and although the test ride was only 30 min. It felt 100% better.  Tomorrow morning I will ride with Marc and put her wisdom and her magic to the test.

No comments:

Post a Comment