Tuesday, June 19, 2012

PIE




I love pie.  Plain and simple.


In fact, I cannot think of a pie that ever disagreed with me.


So, I consider it quite fortuitous that RAGBRAI is synonymous with PIE...and lots of it!

I will even admit that I had ulterior motives when I joined Jay's team.   I am not sure that


have one absolute favorite but I cannot think of a pie that I wouldn't like (scratch non-

fruit varieties). Cherry, apple, key lime, coconut cream and lemon meringue come to 

mind right now, but trust me, I am not too picky. The hands down winner last year was a 

delectable Sour Cream and Raisin pie.

I have been promised pie....every day!  RAGBRAI routes are teeming with pie

and so I plan to motivate myself based on that knowledge.  

I found this article on this years RAGBRAI site:




Nine Churdan community organizations came together to make the pie tasting experience a reality for riders coming through Tuesday’s meeting town.  Volunteers representing church groups, the library, 4H and even the local  high school came together as one to bake and serve up several hundred pies.
“They told us we needed pie so we made pie,” Churdan Library Director Shari Minnehan said. “We were told it was an important part of the experience. The riders love the homemade pie and the majority of the volunteers made homemade pies.”
Store bought pie was difficult to come by in the Churdan Public Library, where volunteers aging from 8 to 88-years-old gathered.
Just yesterday more than 20 women  sliced all the pies in preparation for today’s midway stop. More than 75 volunteers signed up to bake and ten different varieties were available — red raspberry, black berry, triple berry and rhubarb went the quickest, Minnehan added.
Riders started buying the slices as early as 7 a.m., before the volunteers were even completely set up. By noon, the only flavors left were apple, cherry and peach.
Greene County is home to less than 10,000 people and the city was told to prepare for twice that amount  in cyclists, Minnehan said. Despite the overwhelming sensation the entire community came together to make it happen.
“We did what we could and I think they (the community) really enjoyed it,” she said. “They kind of grimaced at first but they love it. Everyone has had fun and it’s amazing to see this many people in town.”
Their combined efforts were obviously appreciated. Lines formed as riders waited to get their hands on the homemade grub.
Jason Wittmer, 40, of Clive took his first bite of RAGBRAI pie in Churdan, apple was his choice for the day.
“It’s just a RAGBRAI thing and it’s something to look forward to. You race to get to the rhubarb before it’s gone,” he said. “It’s something you just don’t get to eat everyday.”
The rhubarb was gone by the time Wittmer arrived in Churdan today, but that’s okay– during RAGBRAI, there is always more pie tomorrow.
“You have to keep your eyes open for it, they don’t sell it in every town  . You can usually tell where it is because there’s a line,” he said. “I’ll get out earlier (tomorrow) for that rhubarb.”
 –Katie Stinson


WHAT?  Not sold in EVERY town?  I just might have to rethink this entire trip!


1 comment:

  1. My dad was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease his symptoms were shuffling of feet,slurred speech, low volume speech, degradation of hand writing, horrible driving skills, right arm held at 46 degree angle, but now he finally free from the disease with the help of total cure from ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC, he now walks properly and all symptoms has reversed, he had trouble with balance especially at night, getting into the shower and exiting it is difficult,getting into bed is also another thing he finds impossible.we had to find a better solution for his condition which has really helped him a lot,the biggest helped we had was ultimate life clinic they walked us through the proper steps,am highly recommended this www.ultimatelifeclinic.com to anyone who needs help.

    ReplyDelete