Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Cherokee




Do you think that Ann would peddle faster and harder if I played this song over and over that first day...especially if she knew that I intended to do so for the entire 70 + miles?  I probably shouldn't even be tempted by such shenanigans as I doubt I would have a captain for the rest of the trip.


But I do think these Iowa cowboys are kind of cute...I will try to meet them just for the heck of it.


So here are a few fun facts to know and tell:


As of the census[4] of 2010, there were 5,253 people (3 of which are in this video), 2,316 households, and 1,339 families residing in the town.  The racial makeup of the town was 95.5% White, 1.0% African American, 0.3% Native American, 0.7% Asian, 0.2Pacific Islander, 1.2% from other races, and 1.1% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.9% of the population.

Cherokee may be the smallest town in the world to have its own symphony orchestra, the Cherokee Symphony. This 60-member orchestra has been referred to as "the best kept secret in Northwest Iowa".[6]
And aside from cowboys Steve, Dave & Jimmy this list is noteworthy for it's listing of the most famous residents of Cherokee and how I haven't heard of a single one of them.

So as I finish up this first of the overnight city pages,  I will share with you this scrolling notification that I found on the Cherokee's Chamber of Commerce web page...my favorite part is highlighted below...


THERE IS AN URGENT NEED FOR RESIDENTS TO HOST RAGBRAI RIDERS ON SUN. JULY 22. YOU MAY HOST FROM 1 - 40 PEOPLE AND SUPPLY BEDS, FLOORSPACE, YOUR YARD FOR TENT CAMPING OR JUST ALLOW A MOTORHOME IN YOUR DRIVEWAY. WE HAVE GROUPS OF ALL AGES AND PROFESSIONS, AND YOU CAN COME INTO CITY HALL AND PICK THE PEOPLE YOU WANT TO STAY WITH YOU.   PLEASE CALL CITY HALL AT 225-5749 FOR MORE INFORMATION!

You know, you can never be too careful when it comes to cyclists...could be a crazed psychopath among them who thought it would be fun to ride 472 miles in a week ...hmmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment