Sunday, July 15, 2012

count down begins

One week away....


Today a small group of men, women and children met for a 40 mile ride.  Some of us knew each other from last year and then there were plenty of introductions. After the ride we kicked back, enjoyed a great lunch and even a cold beer.  


I could say that it was just a 'practice run' but it was more than that.  It was the kick off to a week where these riders and another 40 or more, will meet in Clinton Iowa next saturday, board a bus together, travel to Sioux City and then get on our bikes and ride...and ride...and ride...to raise money and awareness for a disease they do not have.  I am grateful for this group. They are good people who are selflessly giving up a week of time where they could be doing anything but riding a bike across Iowa in 90 degree heat.  Some of us on this trip will have PD but most do not. These healthy men, women & children join this group because they have a connection to PD through a family member/friend or because they understand the importance of Jay's work and his goal to extend it into the community with Pedaling For Parkinson's.


My ride today was good...not perfect...but it didn't need to be. I am as ready as I will ever be so I left my bike (aka silver bullet) back with Jay where he will load it into a huge truck which will find me some where in Iowa next week.  I asked Jay if he was bringing Big Blue along for this 10th year anniversary ride..."Of course, I love that bike!" I like to think that these 2 bikes will be next to each other in Jay's trailer...each giving up a week of their time to ride across the state of Iowa, doing their part and making a difference.


http://www.pedalingforparkinsons.org/fundraising

No comments:

Post a Comment