Saturday, July 28, 2012

saturday july 28 day 7


SATURDAY, JULY 28
ANAMOSA to CLINTON
69.4 miles • 2,811 feet of climb
Towns Miles Feet of Climb Population
Anamosa  0.0 0 5,533
Hale 15.7 727 Unincorp.
Oxford Junction 6.9 389 496
Lost Nation (Meeting) 7.4 238 446
Elwood 4.5 199 Unincorp.
Delmar 7.2 287 525
Charlotte 8.6 251 394
Goose Lake 4.6 250 240
Clinton 14.5 470 26,885

Our last day...hooray!  
There was an excitement in the air as we packed our gear one last time.  Goodbye's and thank you's were repeated over and over as some people headed for home while others got on their bikes one more time.


My super-speedy 1-day partner Dan left early...his kindness was greatly appreciated.




Various team members peeled off at the midpoint ....





And these photos were taken while I waited for Ann to meet me...





The one advantage of being on the back of a tandem is that I retain the ability to take photos while riding the bike....so some beautiful Iowa scenery...







Notice the shadows of all of the bikes ahead of us...




Our last town of Goose Lake was a short stopping point as Ann and I were feeling tired and sore and had just one goal in mind...get to Clinton...period.



On the home stretch!


Ann & I skipped the dip in the river....please don't groan or bemoan us.  We were spent, done, exhausted...home was our goal. 

So I did it...again.  No regrets...although Glenn should have been with us.  I hope he will join us next year.  I am humbled by what it took to get through this week. I will pen my final thoughts tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment