Thursday, July 12, 2012

The Ultimate Care Package

As it turns out, my blog post about finding the perfect saddle opened a Pandora's Box...a plethora of opinions, commentaries and saddle soreness remedies came my way.  Each and every one was welcomed because, the truth be told, I have yet to discover perfection, which I would define as being able to be on my bike comfortably for 4 hours.

"You need a wider seat.  You need a narrower seat.  Try wearing 2 pairs of bike shorts.  Put a DEPENDS in your shorts. Freeze a maxi-pad soaked in witch hazel for after the ride.  Don't forget your 'crotch lube'. And my brilliant idea...change your seat every 2 days so that your bottom doesn't have the same pressure points every day."

Then lo and behold....a package arrives just a week before I am to leave for Iowa and this is what was inside.




Dara lives in California. We have never met. But we have talked and emailed and facebook messaged each other...more so in the past few weeks.  You see, I am part of a secret FB group....'gals with yopd'. This group started out a few years ago with just a handful of women but now boasts over 50 at last look....Dara is also part of this group.  


So I cannot wait to meet her....she too will be part of our PFP team. She is a gently sweet woman....a nurse and animal lover. Our late night conversations have of late been focused on our upcoming bike ride...and as it turns out, because she too has struggled with saddle issues, she is now on a quest to find me cycle comfort....hence the package I found on my doorstep as I arrived home after work this evening. She swears by the white one in the middle.


It has a name....Specialized Ruby Saddle.  

Specialized's Body Geometry Ruby Expert saddle is one of those rare beasts a lightweight women's specific performance saddle that's available in a choice of widths including a properly narrow 130mm to suit your style of riding and just as importantly your sit bones too.

Rare Beast??   Who knew such a seat existed?

So, believe it or not...today a woman I have never met, cared enough to send me her favorite solution to my biggest problem, tempting me to ACTUALLY change seats every few days...I would call her a rare bird.

Thanks Dara...

Brace yourself for a big-ass hug a week from friday.

2 comments:

  1. Dara really is a sweet and living person. She's amazingly caring and appreciates the support she receives from the 'gals with yopd'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How does one connect with "gals with yopd"?

    ReplyDelete